Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications (10 Pack)
Kathleen Bartholomew, RN, MN
Proven strategies for effective nurse-physician communications
Cultivating positive workplace communications is a proven path to stronger teams and improved patient care, but integrating a collegial model of nurse-physician communications in a complex, multigenerational, and sometimes traditional staff environment can be challenging.
Kathleen Bartholomew’s Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications delivers effective strategies for creating a high-functioning work climate through dialogues that are clear and respectful. This easy-to-read handbook provides thoughtful scenarios, exercises, and scripts designed to raise the effectiveness of nurse-physician interactions, to the benefit of all.
Sold in packs of 10, Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications is the perfect tool for staff training, for orientation and in-services, or for self-study.
Table of Contents:
About the Author
Changing the Dynamic
How to Use this Book
Chapter 1: Understanding Work Relationships
Exploring Relationship Types
Try This: Collegial Techniques
Try This: Collaborative Techniques
Try This: Teacher-Student Techniques
Friendly Stranger Relationships
Try This: Friendly Stranger Techniques
Try This: Hostile Techniques
Chapter 2: Taking the Pulse of the Physicians
The Physicians You Work With
Try This: Pulse-Taking Exercise
Preventing Communications with SBAR
Try This: Calling the Attending
Using the Power of Your Name
Try This: Name Recognition
Chapter 3: Taking Your Own Pulse
I Don’t Do Conflict
How Do I Really Handle Conflict?
Try This: Conflict Assessment
Our Goal in the Face of Confrontation
How Can You Improve Your Responses?
Try This: Jump Into the Water
Chapter 4: Practical Tools for Everyday Use
A Dozen Dependable Techniques
Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-Physician Communications will:
- Provide nurses with evidence-based strategies for improving communication with physicians
- Offer personal stories and scripting for conveying critical information to on-site and on-call physicians through effective, formalized approaches
- Explain how to take the pulse of individual nurse-physician relationships and provide actionable steps to move toward more cooperative and collegial interactions
- Encourage nurses to improve self-esteem and assertiveness through thoughtful and deliberate crucial conversations
- Include useful suggestions for humanizing nurse-physician relationships as a way to build cooperation and collegiality
- Give nurses and their managers affordable, hands-on materials designed to improve the workplace through use in orientation, in-services, and preceptor programs
About the Author:
Kathleen Bartholomew, RN, MN, is an internationally acclaimed speaker and educator who uses the power of story and her strong background in sociology to illuminate and transform the healthcare culture. She is also the author of Ending Nurse-to-Nurse Hostility, Team-Building Handbook: Improving Nurse-to-Nurse Relationships, Speak Your Truth: Proven Strategies for Effective Nurse-Physician Communication, and Charting the Course, coauthored with her husband, John J. Nance. Today, Bartholomew and her colleagues at The Orca Institute apply best practice principles from the bedside to the boardroom in leadership retreats and on-site presentations.
If you would like to find out about the availability of nursing contact hours on this or any other HCPro nursing book, please visit our Continuing Education information page, here.
Published: November 2014