Privileging APPs: Issues and Solutions
Thursday, May 25, 2017
1:00–2:30 PM Eastern
Carol S. Cairns, CPMSM, CPCS
Level of Program:
The exponential increase in the use of advanced practice professionals (APP) in ambulatory and acute care settings has increased patient access to care. However, this availability has put stress on the credentialing community. The C-suite, medical staff leaders, and MSPs struggle with delineating privileges and defining measures of competence for advance practice nurses and physician assistants. As soon as a good delineation of privileges (DOP) is established, it becomes outdated due to another request for expanded privileges.
Join expert speaker Carol S. Cairns, CPMSM, CPCS, for this 90-minute webinar as she breaks down CMS’ and accreditors’ requirements for delineation of APP privileges and highlights privileging issues unique to APPs. She will take participants through the many resources available for APP DOPs and discuss problematic issues related to competence assessment. Cairns will also help attendees create a process to address the ever-increasing requests to expand APP privileges.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the requirements of CMS and accreditors for delineating APP privileges
- Highlight privileging issues unique to APPs
- Identify resources available for APP DOPs
- Discuss problematic issues related to competence assessment
- Focus on how to respond to increasing requests to expand APP privileges
Who Should Listen?
- Medical staff leaders
- Department chairs
- Credentials committee members
- Medical executives
- Medical staff professionals
- Directors, managers, and coordinators of medical staff services departments
- APP credentials committee members
- Interdisciplinary practice committee members
- Directors/managers of APP practices
- Directors/managers of quality management
- What are the credentialing and privileging requirements of CMS and the other accrediting bodies for APPs? Are they different from physicians? If so, how?
- Should organizations seek the supervisory or collaborative agreements of APPs?
- While APPs are privileged like physicians, there are issues unique to privileging them. What are they? How can we resolve these matters?
- Are there resources for delineation of APP privileges? If so, where can I find them?
- Measuring the competency of APPs is difficult. What are some tools we can use?
- How can we address the increasing requests for expansion of APP privileges?
- Sample delineation of clinical privileges for nurse practitioners—orthopedic surgery
- Sample policy for APP privilege expansion
Meet the Speaker
Carol S. Cairns, CPMSM, CPCS, has more than 40 years’ experience in the medical staff services profession. She is an advisory consultant and frequent presenter with The Greeley Company. A recognized expert in the field, Cairns has been a faculty member with the National Association Medical Staff Services since 1990. She presents frequently at state and national seminars on subjects such as basic and advanced credentialing and privileging, core privileging, AHP credentialing, CMS’ Conditions of Participation, and the standards of—and survey preparation for—The Joint Commission, NCQA, HFAP, and DNV GL. She conceptualized and wrote the first through the sixth editions of Verify and Comply.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webcast experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
CAN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is now available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $199 value!
Participation in the webinar is just $199 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email email@example.com if you have questions.