Therapy Utilization in Home Health: The Need for Occupational and Speech Therapy -
Presented: August 27, 2015
Presented by: Cindy Krafft, PT, MS; Diana L. Kornetti, PT, MA
This webcast is part of the 2015 Home Health Therapy Documentation Summer Webcast Series. Register for all 3 and SAVE!
Did you know that 75% of all therapy provided in the home is physical therapy? What about OT and SLP? Most agencies look at the diagnosis and their staffing levels to determine what therapy is needed—but does this hurt care? In this 90-minute webcast, experts Cindy Krafft, PT, MS, and Diana L. Kornetti, PT, MA, stress the importance of determining the need for therapy based on the degree of the patient’s functionality and detail how OASIS data can also be used to assess therapy needs. By focusing on the patient’s need for therapy, including OT and SLP, as opposed to their diagnosis and potential available staff, the quality of care given will ultimately increase, which is vital as CMS’ new Star Rating is rolled out.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Define the skill set of the Occupational Therapist and Speech Language Pathologist under the Medicare Part A Home Health benefit
- Identify key OASIS items that can be utilized for referral to Occupational Therapy or Speech Language Pathology in home health
- Discuss critical components of the Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology evaluations and care planning processes
- Determine patient populations that would benefit from Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology referrals
- Overview of practice areas within Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology that can benefit the home health patient
- Learn how to use specific OASIS items to trigger and support referrals to Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology services
- Compare and contrast the clinical focus needed to complete an assessment that supports the medical necessity for therapy services
- Improving patient identification by learning to move past diagnosis information as the sole factor for skilled services
- Live Q&A
- Occupational Therapy Referral Checklist
- Speech Language Pathology Referral Checklist
Who Should Participate
OT, PT, physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, oasis, speech language, patient functionality, home health therapy, therapy utilization
Disclosure Information: The planners, presenters, and contributors of this CNE activity have disclosed no relevant financial relationships with any commercial companies pertaining to this activity.
Meet the Speakers
Cindy Krafft, PT, MS, has more than 20 years of home health expertise that ranges from direct patient care to operational and management issues. For the past 10 years, she has been a nationally recognized educator in the areas of documentation, regulation, therapy utilization, and OASIS. Krafft has been involved at the senior leadership level for the Home Health Section of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and is the current president of that organization. She has been working with APTA and CMS to clarify regulatory expectations and address proposed payment methodologies to ensure the long-term participation of therapy services in home health. Krafft has written two books: The How-to Guide to Home Health Therapy Documentation and An Interdisciplinary Approach to Home Care.
Diana L. Kornetti, PT, MA, a physical therapist for 30 years, is a former co-owner and administrator of a Medicare-certified home health agency in Florida and is the chief operations officer of Kornetti & Krafft Health Care Solutions. Kornetti is nationally recognized as a teacher and speaker in the areas of home health care, standardized tests and measures in the field of physical therapy, therapy training, and home health staff development. She has been an active member of APTA since 1986 and is its current Home Health Section program chair; immediate past editor of the Quarterly Report, a publication of the organization's Home Health Section; and a member of APTA's Practice and Education committees. Kornetti also serves as the president of the Association of Home Care Coding and Compliance, and is a member of the Association of Home Care Coders Advisory Board and Panel of Experts.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webinar experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is also available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $199 value!
Participation in this webinar is just $199 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email email@example.com if you have questions.