The Privacy Officer's Handbook, Second Edition
Mary D. Brandt, MBA, RHIA, CHE, CHPS
The HIPAA Privacy Rule is detailed and complex. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) and Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) add new requirements that make compliance even more challenging. You need a guide to help you understand the regulations and how to put them into practice. This is it.
The Privacy Officer’s Handbook, Second Edition, is your go-to reference for quick, easy-to-understand solutions that will help you address complex privacy concerns.
- Detailed, thorough explanations of the Privacy Rule and ARRA that are straightforward and easy to follow
- References to specific sections of the Privacy Rule and ARRA to help you find the information you need within the long, complex regulations
- Practical, easy-to-use forms that you can customize for your organization
- Instructions that will enable you to download all of the forms in the book and easily customize them for use at your facility
What's new in the Second Edition?
This new edition is a comprehensive guide that uses real-life situations illustrating a variety of privacy concerns to help your organization comply with HIPAA regulations. It continues the excellence of the earlier version, which delivered practical references privacy officers need to take charge of their organizations’ HIPAA compliance.
ARRA and HITECH have changed the healthcare privacy and security landscape with:
- Higher penalties
- New breach notification rules
- New rules governing restrictions requested by individuals
- New prohibitions on the sale of PHI
- Other rules pertaining to electronic health records, including accounting of disclosures
Privacy and security requirements now extend to business associates and vendors of personal health records. Individuals, not just entities, are now subject to penalties. The Privacy Officer’s Handbook, Second Edition, will help you ensure that your compliance program meets every nuance of the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
Published: December 2009