The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation, Third Edition
A Complete Guide to Increasing Reimbursement and Reducing Denials
Up-to-speed with Medicare documentation requirements for 2009 and beyond?
Increase cash flow and reduce Medicare claim denials by using strategies provided in the Third Edition of The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation.
Written by national consultant Rick Gawenda, PT.
Since our last edition, there have been significant changes to the rules and regulations surrounding documentation in therapy settings. And now that the RACs are underway it is even more important to have accurate and thorough documentation. Mistakes can lead to delayed payments and denials, so how do ensure that you are in compliance with the current guidelines?
Make it easy. Order your copy of The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation, Third Edition: A Complete Guide to Increasing Reimbursement and Reducing Denials.
Written by author and national consultant Rick Gawenda, PT, of Gawenda Seminars, this book and CD-ROM set focuses on the clinical aspects of documentation and offers proven methods to strengthen documentation and decrease the frequency of denials. Gawenda encourages b documentation methods that have worked for him and help you conquer potentially tough concepts such as maintenance therapy and CPT codes.
What’s new in the third edition?
- Clarification of certification and re-certification requirements regarding how long they are valid for and how soon they need to be signed
- Explanation of delayed certification
- Tips to write function-based short- and long-term goals
- Updated examples of well-written goals
- Updated payer documentation guidelines for evaluations, progress reports, daily notes, discharge reports, and re-evaluations
The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation, Third Edition: A Complete Guide to Increasing Reimbursement and Reducing Denials outlines proper documentation strategies starting from the moment a patient registers and receives treatment to billing for time and services. Gawenda encourages b documentation methods that have worked for him and help you conquer potentially tough concepts such as maintenance therapy and CPT codes.
This comprehensive book and CD-ROM, helps you:
- Improve therapy billing through better documentation
- Prevent denials as a result of better documentation practices
- Maintain quality assurance through proper documentation
- Optimize your reimbursement from both Medicare and third-party payers
- Avoid audits and targeted medical reviews
- Document care in a more efficient way
- Take the critical steps to verify therapy benefit coverage prior to a patient's initial visit
- Support skilled therapy services with inclusion of required documentation
- Understand Medicare certification and recertification time frames and requirements for all therapy settings
- Understand and use the most commonly used CPT codes and modifiers in rehabilitation therapy
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1: The Role of the Registration Staff
Chapter 2: Initial Documentation
Creating a Solid Foundation
Chapter 3: Certification and Recertification
Physician Referral Denials
Outpatient Therapy Settings
Certification and Recertification
SNF Part A Therapy Services Reimbursed Under the Prospective Payment System (PPS)
Home Health Agency Part A Therapy Services
Chapter 4: Daily Documentation
Home Exercise Programs (HEPs)
Chapter 5: Progress Reports, Discharge Reports, and Reevaluations
Chapter 6: Maintenance Therapy
What is an FMP?
Cover All Your Bases
Chapter 7: Wound Care Under Medicare
Appendix A: Navigating the CMS Web site
About the author:
Rick Gawenda, P.T., graduated in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Gawenda is currently director of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Detroit Receiving Hospital and owner of Gawenda Seminars. He is the current President of the Section on Health Policy & Administration of the American Physical Therapy Association and President of the Michigan Association of Medical Program Rehabilitation Administrators.
Make it easy to understand CMS’ documentation guidelines
No need to download and interpret the guidance from the CMS Web site yourself. Author Rick Gawenda, PT, has done the work for you. His documentation practices are sure to help you receive optimal compensation for the services you perform as a therapist.
Nearly half of all rehab claim denials are
STILL due to improper documentation.
Ensure proper documentation for services provided and decrease the frequency of denials. Order The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation, Third Edition: A Complete Guide to Increasing Reimbursement and Reducing Denials today!
Risk free and guaranteed!
Your copy is covered by the HCPro 100% money-back guarantee. If you're not happy, return it within 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked.
Published: April 2009