The Compliance Officer's Handbook, Third Edition
Robert Wade Esq.
Alex Krouse, J.D., M.H.A
The Compliance Officer’s Handbook, Third Edition, gives compliance officers everything they need to take charge of a healthcare compliance program, whether they are new to the field or seasoned professionals who want to incorporate the latest strategies. Packed with legal insights from two experts on the latest OIG regulations, this handbook delivers tools, practical examples, and interpretations to build and maintain programs consistent with best practices for risk assessment, HIPAA compliance, training, monitoring, and auditing for compliance, and a host of other organizational responsibilities.
Whether you are new to the field or seasoned compliance professional who want to incorporate the latest strategies, this resource will help you:
- Improve auditing and monitoring with field-tested tools
- Perform more thorough internal investigations with step-by-step processes
- Implement the latest best practices for compliance programs
- Stay current on CMS and OIG regulations affecting compliance
- Respond proactively to new regulatory and industry challenges
- Save time with sample policies and procedures
The new edition includes:
- A new, in-depth chapter interpreting HIPAA regulations, including compliance with the authorization and notification requirements related to the privacy, security, and breach notification rules.
- A comprehensive chapter detailing critical issues for the compliance officer: establishing, monitoring, and documenting fair market value and commercial reasonableness between referral sources to avoid violating the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, or the False Claims Act
- The following new forms: Income Guarantee Monthly Report, Community Need Checklist, Employment Justification Analysis Form, and Non-Monetary Benefit Tracking Form
Table of contents
Chapter 1: History and Evolution of Compliance
Chapter 2: OIG Guidance for Compliance Programs
Chapter 3: Key Regulations for Compliance
Chapter 4: Privacy & Security - HIPAA
Chapter 5: Fair Market Value
Chapter 6: Internal Strategies for Best Practices
Chapter 7: The Risk Assessment
Chapter 8: Training Strategies
Chapter 9: Monitoring and Auditing
Chapter 10: Effective Internal Investigations
Who should read The Compliance Officer's Handbook, Third Edition?
- Compliance Officer
- Compliance professional
- Compliance specialist,
- CEO and COO of hospitals
- Internal auditor
Meet the Authors
Robert Wade Esq., of Krieg DeVault LLP, is nationally recognized in all aspects of healthcare compliance, representing large health systems, hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, physician groups, physicians and other medical providers. His expertise includes representing clients with respect to the Stark Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act.
Alex Krouse, J.D., M.H.A is a member of the Krieg DeVault LLP Health Care and Business Practice Groups. He concentrates his practice on corporate, transactional, and regulatory issues affecting a wide range of business and healthcare clients, including health systems, hospitals, and healthcare providers. Prior to joining Krieg DeVault, Alex gained experience in hospital operations both in a large health system and a community hospital.
Publication date March 2014.