The Chapter Leader's Guide to Emergency Management: Practical Insight on Joint Commission Standards
Quick, concise standard explanations for emergency management chapter leaders
The Chapter Leader’s Guide to Emergency Management breaks down the Joint Commission’s emergency management requirements into easy-to-understand solutions to meet the challenges of these complex standards. You get simplified explanations of the chapter’s key components along with communication techniques to help foster a strong and successful partnership between survey coordinator and chapter leader.
Plus, to make staff training easy, this guide includes a downloadable PowerPoint® presentation highlighting key compliance takeaways.
Benefits of The Chapter Leader’s Guide to Emergency Management:
- Keep your facility up to speed on the ever increasing emergency management requirements
- Pinpoint compliance loopholes in your current emergency management program
- Understand what it means to be prepared for an emergency under Joint Commission standards
- Educate and prepare organizational leaders to take a key role in emergency preparedness
- Ensure the highest possible level of preparedness and cooperation within your community
- An in-depth look at emergency preparedness from a nationally recognized expert in the field
- The most up-to-date regulatory requirements resulting from recent national and international disasters
- Tips developing a successful emergency management plan with organizational leadership
- Methods to incorporate regulatory requirements into existing disaster preparations
- A step by step look at what The Joint Commission requires for emergency management
Part I: State of Preparedness
Role of leaders
It shouldn’t take a crisis to make a leader
Part II: the 96 Hour Principal
National Response Plan
The Joint Commission’s role
Part III: The Value of Exercises
The Emergency Operations Plan
The value of exercises
Part IV: Effective Survey Preparation
The advent of unannounced surveys
Types of surveyors
Part V: Who Speaks for the Children?
The National Commission on Children and Disasters
Sample 96 Hour Sustainability Chart
Joint Commission Emergency Management Standard Checklist
Who will benefit?
Accreditation coordinator, accreditation specialist, survey coordinator, Joint Commission survey coordinator, emergency management chapter leader, emergency management coordinator, facility manager, and disaster preparedness coordinator
Earn Continuing Education Credits
National Association for Healthcare Quality (NAHQ)
This activity is pending approval by the National Association of Healthcare Quality for CE credits.
About the Author
Joseph L. Cappiello is the Chairman of Cappiello & Associates and the former Vice President for Accreditation Field Operations at The Joint Commission, where he spent 10 years directing key internal functions, as well as serving as a surveyor. Known as an innovative and dynamic leader, Mr. Cappiello led Joint Commission initiatives on emergency management and disaster response, personally debriefing nearly 300 healthcare organization following disasters. He led investigation and evaluation teams to Houston, Texas following Tropical Storm Allison and to New York City following attacks of September 11, 2001.
Faculty Disclosure Statement: HCPro Inc. has confirmed that none of the faculty/presenters or contributors have any relevant financial relationships to disclose related to the content of this educational activity.
Published: April 2011