Surviving the MDS/Staffing Focused Survey - On-Demand
Thursday, July 28 2016
(Original broadcast Tuesday, December 15, 2015)
Presented by: Judy Wilhide Brandt, RN, BA, RAC-MT, C-NE
Despite CMS’ high-profile introduction of an MDS focused survey pilot last year, recent expansion of the program to the national stage, and addition of a staffing component to the mix, the agency has offered little in the way of provider education and guidance. Drawing on the experiences and performance data of skilled nursing facilities that have already gone through the ordeal, as well as a wealth of personal industry insight, Judy Wilhide Brandt, RN, BA, RAC-MT, C-NE, will help listeners prime their practices and processes for this latest oversight initiative, which could become a regulatory mainstay in the long-term care industry.
At the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of the MDS/staffing focused survey
- Describe the procedure used in the MDS/staffing focused survey
- Explain how to prepare for the MDS/staffing focused survey
- Discuss selected MDS/staffing focused survey results from around the country
- Avoid common mistakes cited during the MDS/staffing focused survey process that can result in deficiencies, civil monetary penalties (CMP), and/or revisits
1. Demystifying the MDS focused survey
- Learn how it came about
- Pinpoint what’s changed since CMS revealed results from the targeted pilot program
- Know what to expect when surveyors come knocking
2. Avoiding common missteps
- Steer clear of common deficiencies, including pressure ulcers, lapses in supervision, and improper usage of antipsychotics
- Learn to mitigate the risk of deficiencies, CMPs, and other fallout from bad survey findings
- Separate fact from fiction regarding the survey process
3. Cultivating ongoing MDS success
- Demonstrate consistent accuracy on the survey’s top focus areas
- Sustain best practices over the long term
4. Understanding the survey’s staffing component
- Avoid the most common staffing citation on the MDS/staffing focused survey
5. Q&A (not live)
- MDS Focused Survey Worksheet #1
- Entrance Conference Worksheet
Meet the Speaker
Judy Wilhide Brandt, RN, BA, RAC-MT, C-NE, principal at Judy Wilhide MDS Consulting, Inc., in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is one of the nation's leading experts on skilled nursing facility (SNF) clinical Medicare compliance and the RAI process. Brandt brings over 30 years combined experience to the long-term care industry, with over 15 years in positions of increasing responsibility in nursing facilities as a nurse manager, executive, and consultant. She has been a state surveyor and RAI manager for the Commonwealth of Virginia. She has assisted providers and the United States government as a legal expert in Medicare fraud cases and other government initiatives.
Brandt is active in the American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordination as past chair of the Nurse Assessment Coordination Expert Advisory Panel, primary original author and master teacher of Medicare University, and master teacher for the Resident Assessment Coordinator-Certified workshops. She is the LeadingAge MDS expert, writing monthly articles and answering questions for LeadingAge members. She is a very popular speaker for national, regional, and state association meetings and seminars. She has published numerous articles on matters pertaining to the RAI process and Medicare compliance. As the principal for Judy Wilhide MDS Consulting, Inc., Brandt serves as an advisor, auditor, and trainer for multiple providers, ranging from stand-alone communities to multistate chains across the country. Her services are in high demand, as she can be counted on for accurate, current information in the ever-changing SNF regulatory landscape. She is a trusted advisor to government officials, LTC operators, MDS coordinators, regulatory bodies, and industry associations.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webinar experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is also available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $199 value!
Participation in this webinar is just $199 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.