SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation
New techniques in patient safety like medication reconciliation, rapid response teams, and patient hand-offs require seamless communication to work. But in the hectic and time-sensitive environment of a hospital, communication breakdowns are all too common.
That’s why the SBAR (Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation) technique has quickly evolved to be the industry standard for improved communication. Hospitals all over the country are turning to SBAR to tackle some of the JCAHO’s toughest new goals.
A life-saving communication tool
It’s no secret that successful communication is critical to quality patient care and reduced medical errors. Sold in packs of 25 for just $99, SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation—A Communication Handbook for All Staff provides the information and guidance you need to get all your staff up-to-speed on effective communication techniques.
The resource you need for improved communication
SBAR: A Communication Handbook for All Staff provides a comprehensive overview of the SBAR technique. With the information presented in these handbooks, your staff will learn how to organize important information and present it quickly and coherently. These easy-to-tote, 20 page handbooks are designed for staff to carry around with them to practice SBAR in their daily activities. You can turn to SBAR: A Communication Handbook for All Staff for hassle-free, consistent staff training, or as a handy reference guide!
In each handbook you’ll find:
- explanation of each element of the SBAR technique (situation, background, assessment, and recommendation)
- real-life examples for its use
- sample scripts for each step of the technique
- a sample SBAR card that summarizes pertinent information to help staff remember the SBAR steps
- common scenarios with critical thinking questions to help staff practice SBAR techniques
- a certificate of completion
Staff training made simple
Your staff’s ability to communicate information effectively and efficiently has an incredible impact on patient safety. With SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation—A Communication Handbook for All Staff, you can quickly and easily train your staff on the SBAR technique and immediately improve communication within your organization.
Table of Contents
- Where communication fails
- SBAR communication: Who?
- SBAR script: Situation
- SBAR script: Background
- SBAR script: Assessment
- SBAR script: Recommendation
- “Critical” words
- Sample SBAR card
- Using SBAR during patient hand-offs
- Using SBAR during RN to MD communication
- Tips for calling a physician
- Using SBAR with emergency response teams
- Using SBAR when resolving a complaint
- SBAR practice and discussion
Handbooks are sold in packs of 25.
For money-saving bulk rates contact Dave Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888/209-6554.