Preventing Emergency Department Violence: Tips, Tools, and Advice to Keep Your Facility Safe - eBook
Lisa Pryse Terry, CHPA, CPP
Violence against healthcare providers and patients is a growing problem in hospitals and medical clinics.
This book provides healthcare personnel and security professionals with guidance for how to deal with violent patients and visitors, active shooters, uncooperative behavioral health patients, and disruptive prisoners. This expert guide will help healthcare professionals recognize signs of violence, take steps to defuse tension, and respond appropriately. Expert author Lisa Pryse Terry, CHPA, CPP, offers real-life examples and tools to create staff training, and provides sample response protocols and emergency department design ideas to help readers develop plans and make improvements in their own facilities.
This resource is packed with practical advice and includes downloadable tools:
- Real-life examples of incidents with violent patients from national experts
- Tips to train healthcare professionals to detect signs of anxious or potentially violent patients
- Strategies for working as a team to assess threats in the facility, share information, and develop a plan to defuse violence
- Customizable tools including training options, sample response protocols, and ED design ideas
Table of Contents:
- The Big Picture of Violence in Healthcare
- The Violent Individual
- Violence Spectrum
- Benefits of Trained Individuals
- Dangers of Untrained Individuals
- Management of Threats
- Healthcare Threat Assessments
- Threat Assessment Teams
- What Role Should Security Play?
- Active Shooter Prevention and Response
- Sample Violence Response and Prevention Plan
- The Emergency Department and the Forensic (Prisoner) Patients
- The Emergency Department and the Behavioral Health Patient
- Healthcare Security Environment Design Guidelines
- What Does the Future Hold?
About the Author:
Lisa Pryse Terry, CHPA, CPP, is director of Hospital Police and Transportation for the University of North Carolina Hospitals in Chapel Hill. She is a past president of the International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS).
If you would like to find out about the availability of nursing contact hours on this or any other HCPro nursing book, please visit our Continuing Education information page, here.
How to Download Adobe Edition
- PRIOR TO DOWNLODING YOUR PURCHASED EBOOK – CLICK HERE TO INSTALL E-BOOK PLAYER FROM ADOBE.
- Click FILE IN MY DOWNLOADS AREA in the store, following your purchase. Then you can "link in" with your order confirmation/email, or when you login to your store account.
- SIGN IN WITH YOUR ADOBE ID. You can use your existing ID or create a new one. Save the login for future use.
- Your eBook purchase will appear in the Adobe Reader/player now — and anytime you want to access — just open the ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS APP.