Overcome 2017 OPPS Modifier Reporting Challenges
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
1:00-2:30 p.m. Eastern
Sarah L. Goodman, MBA, CHCAF, COC, CCP, FCS
Susan E. Garrison, CHCA, CHCAS, CCS-P, CHC, CPAR, CPC, COC
Level of Program:
CMS issued a host of modifier changes for 2017—from adding and deleting modifiers to making previously optional modifiers mandatory. In addition to payment, data, and edit implications, developing a process for reporting these modifiers properly can ease the administrative burden.
During this program, expert speakers Sarah L. Goodman, MBA, CHCAF, COC, CCP, FCS, and Susan E. Garrison, CHCA, CHCAS, CCS-P, CHC, CPAR, CPC, COC, will review the proper application of modifiers -PO, -PN, and -JW, along with the deletion of modifier -L1. They will also discuss changes to CPT moderate sedation reporting and how modifiers will be affected by the 2017 updates to the NCCI Manual and CPT Manual.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Apply modifiers -PO and -PN for services performed in different settings
- Appropriately apply modifiers -52, -73, and -74
- Ensure documentation supports modifier -25 usage
- Determine when to report modifier -JW for discarded drugs
- Describe the latest NCCI and CPT coding guidance
Who Should Listen?
- HIM directors and managers
- outpatient coding professionals
- compliance officers
- chargemaster coordinators
- revenue cycle managers
- revenue integrity team
- nurses and nursing staff
- finance staff
- clinical staff
- Review of 2017 updates to the NCCI Manual for modifiers
- Clarification for modifier -59 use
- Chapter-specific updates that could impact modifier reporting
- Discussion of provider-based modifier reporting
- Details necessary in documentation and billing for reporting modifiers -PO and -PN
- Reducing audit risks when billing provider-based procedures
- A look at changes to modifiers associated with drugs
- Review of how and when to report modifier -JW with the least disruption to workflow
- Discussion of impact of modifier -L1 deletion
- Update on changes to 2017 CPT codes and moderate sedationssedation
- Covering payment and billing changes for moderate sedation with multiple physicians and other scenarios
- Impact of unbundling of moderate sedation from 2017 CPT codes
- Live Q&A
Meet the Speakers
Sarah L. Goodman, MBA, CHCAF, COC, CCP, FCS, is president/CEO and principal consultant for SLG, Inc., of Raleigh, North Carolina. She is a nationally known speaker and author on the charge description master, outpatient facility coding, and billing compliance, and has more than 30 years’ experience in the healthcare industry. Goodman has been actively involved and held leadership roles in a number of professional organizations on the local, state, and national levels., including the new National Association for Healthcare Revenue Integrity.
Susan E. Garrison, CHCA, CHCAS, CCS-P, CHC, CPAR, CPC, COC, is executive vice president of Healthcare Consulting Services at Med Law Advisors in Atlanta. Garrison has more than 25 years of experience in healthcare management, including documentation, coding, billing, and reimbursement for both outpatient hospital and physician services. She has conducted hundreds of engagements at hospitals across the country to improve hospital and physician compliance and reimbursement. She also worked for Medicare in Georgia for 12 years. Garrison is the executive director of compliance for the Association of Health Care Auditors and Educators, past president of the AAPC’s National Advisory Board, and past chair for the ACMCS.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webcast experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
CAN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is now available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $259 value!
Participation in the webinar is just $259 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.