Observation Services: Focus on the NOTICE Act - On-Demand
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
1:00–2:30 p.m. Eastern
Deborah K. Hale, CCS, CCDS
Level of Program:
Observation services are an ongoing point of confusion for hospitals and patients, many of whom have become fearful of out-of-pocket costs and SNF coverage eligibility associated with outpatient observation services. Developing a workflow to comply with the NOTICE Act is essential and will help hospitals ease patients’ concerns by eliminating patient confusion about the implications of observation. As part of an overall strategy, hospitals must arm themselves with knowledge of the financial impact of the new observation C-APC and work to reduce observation costs.
Learn more with this on-demand webcast, with speaker Deborah K. Hale, CCS, CCDS, as she takes an in-depth look at patient status perceptions and the impact of the NOTICE Act on hospitals and patients as well as the Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice from the 2017 IPPS proposed rule. She will also address the challenges associated with appropriate use of observation services, including the financial implications of observation C-APC bundled payments, and offer ways to reduce observation costs and length of stay.
At the conclusion of this on-demand program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the NOTICE Act and develop a plan for implementation
- Address the continued challenges for appropriate use of observation services
- Identify and address patient perceptions of observation services
- Recent guidance for use of observation services for the Medicare patient
- Overview of bundled payments and C-APCs related to observation and hospital efforts to reduce observation costs
- Patient perception and reality of the impact of observation services on out-of-pocket costs and SNF eligibility
- Strategies for complying with the NOTICE Act
- The NOTICE Act origin and implementation date
- The proposed Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON)content and distribution requirements
- NOTICE Act implementation challenges
- Q&A (not live)
Who Should Attend
- Case managers
- HIM directors and managers
- Compliance officers
- Revenue cycle managers
- Clinical documentation improvement specialists
- Billing managers and directors
- Utilization review staff
- Physician advisors
- Discharge planners
- Social service professionals
- Registration staff
- Admission officers
- Inpatient coders
- Observation newsletter for physician and staff education
- Patient notice for observation
(Live & On-Demand) - This program has been approved for 1 continuing education unit for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor. (CEU’s for this webcast expire on: 5/16/17)
Meet the Speaker
Deborah K. Hale, CCS, CCDS, is president and CEO of Administrative Consultant Service, LLC, in Shawnee, Oklahoma. She has more than 30 years of experience in healthcare management, including administration, health information management, clinical documentation improvement, resource outcome management, and utilization review. For the past 29 years, she has provided clinical documentation improvement, utilization management, coding, and billing consultation for hospitals throughout the United States.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webinar experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is also available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $259 value!
Participation in this webinar is just $259 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.