More With Less, Second Edition
Best Practices for HIM Directors
Rose T. Dunn, RHIA, MBA, CPA, FACHE, FHFMA; Rose T. Dunn, RHIA, MBA, CPA, FACHE, FHFMA
The benefits have just increased…introducing more ideas for your operational improvement plans!
Insufficient staff, limited financial resources, not enough hours in the day—these are just a few of the challenges that affect an HIM directors job. Every day, they are pushed to the limit and strive to achieve more with less.
Hire an on-site consultant for a fraction of the cost
Author Rose T. Dunn, RHIA, CPA, FACHE, FHFMA, is back with an updated version of her must-have resource. HCPro is pleased to introduce More With Less, Second Edition: Best Practices for HIM Directors.
- explains how to assess your current operations
- shows you how to evaluate processes in your department
- helps you identify which areas to streamline
Improve processes in day-to-day operations
More With Less has been updated to address specific topics, such as voice recognition, scanning, transcription production, and duplicate numbers. We’ve also included several new bonus tools throughout the book. The strategies are suitable in every acute-care setting, whether you’re in a large city hospital or a small rural one.
Learn how your peers tackle everyday functions
HIM directors, managers, and supervisors will find easy-to-understand and creative best practice solutions for common HIM functions, as well as unique, alternative solutions to everyday management questions such as:
- How much work should an average transcriptionist should be able to produce? Good news: You can determine productivity averages within individual work settings—and this book shows you how!
- How can we retain records? Assess the value of the space that record archives consume against the basic cost of that space. This book presents several options to consider.
- What are the pros and cons of an electronic health record? Learn how to cope when extra files—such as pre-op H&Ps and lab reports—derail plans for a paperless record.
- What are some alternatives to transcription? Although many organizations have a shortage of qualified transcription staff, several approaches—including speech recognition technology, PDA and templating, and electronic records—can help alleviate the problem. This book explains each of these approaches.operational improvement plans!
- How can I ensure that coders receive a complete medical record? One option to help eliminate assembly is to implement universal chart order. This book breaks down the required steps to involve patient care and medical staffs.
- How can I eliminate duplicate medical record numbers? Every healthcare organization has experienced this dilemma at one time or another. Unfortunately, duplicate numbers interfere with patient care. Learn why duplicate numbers occur and how to deal with them.
- What do coders want? What are coders’ top work desires, according to past surveys? You’d be surprised to know that they include space, recognition, and quiet—with money ranking last!
More With Less, Second Edition offers real-life management advice you need to evaluate and identify ways to streamline processes while maintaining your department’s integrity and commitment to excellence. HIM directors can’t afford not to have this book on their desk.
Check out the Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: When to perform an assessment
- Chapter 2: The patient record
- Chapter 3: Folderization, assembly,and analysis
- Chapter 4: Coding
- Chapter 5: Incomplete medical records
- Chapter 6: Transcription
- Chapter 7: Duplicate numbers
- Chapter 8: Emerging issues and other challenges
About the Author
Rose T. Dunn, RHIA, CPA, FACHE, FHFMA, is the chief operating officer of First Class Solutions, Inc., a consulting firm in St. Louis, MO. She is a past president of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and recipient of its 1997 Distinguished Member award.
She is active in several professional associations including TheAmerican Institute of Public Accountants (AICPA), The American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), The Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA), and AHIMA. She is also certified in health care privacy.
Dunn is the author of several texts and more than 200 articles. She is a member of the editorial advisory board of Medical Records Briefing and author of Coder Productivity: Tapping your Team’s Talents to Improve Quality, Reduce Accounts Receivable, and More With Less, First Edition, all from HCPro.
The HCPro Satisfaction Guarantee
Try More With Less, Second Edition risk-free for 30 days. If you decide this book is not essential to the success of your HIM department, simply send it back for a full refund.
Published: May 2007