Managing Length of Stay
Effectively managing a patient's length of stay may be a case manager's biggest challenge. Hospitals can lose thousands of dollars per day in reimbursement for prolonged stays that are not medically necessary.
Beyond the financial impact is the toll on patients and their families. Case managers must also balance the patient's and family's best interests and prepare patients to move through the care continuum as quickly and safely as possible.
Reviewed by LOS expert June Stark, this video with CD-ROM uses "right way" and "wrong way" scenarios to deliver helpful, practical, how-to strategies to:
- Ensure each case meets medical necessity requirements
- Communicate effectively with physicians and the care team
- Facilitate appropriate patient discharge
- Coordinate patient care needs
The CD-ROM included with the video contains tools you can customize to fit your facility's needs. These tools include:
- Eight best practices for reducing length of stay
- A form to share patient information across departments
- A long-stay summary report, and
- Long-stay summary report codes
Managing Length of Stay: A Video Guide for Hospital Case Managers is designed to help manage patient flow with new and proven strategies. Complete with analysis of dramatized case studies, this 20-minute DVD also looks at appropriate ways to address medical necessity issues with physicians as well as common situations that prolong length of stay and how to overcome them.
Learning objectives include:
- Demonstrate the correct manner to discuss discharge with patients.
- Identify at least five pieces of patient information that need to be shared across departments.
- Justify patient discharge with he or she no longer meets medical necessity.
- Discuss appropriate and timely care plans with patients and physicians.
- Evaluate the necessity of medical tests to determine if they can be performed on an outpatient basis.
EARN CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS!
HCPro is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center Commission on Accreditation.
This educational activity for 1 nursing contact hour is provided by HCPro, Inc.
This program is approved by the Commission for Case Manager Certification for 1 Continuing Education Unit.
This video was reviewed by June Stark, RN, BSN, MEd, the director of quality support services at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. She also acts as an associate consultant for The Center of Case Management in Natick, MA. Stark previously held the positions of director of case management at North Shore Medical Center in Salem, MA, which included Salem and Union Hospitals, and director of care management at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston. She is also noted for participation in the development of case management at New England Medical Center in the 1980s.