JustCoding’s Injections and Infusions Coding Handbook (Pack of 5) - Overview
From the team at JustCoding
Reviewed by Jugna Shah, MPH
Drug administration coding doesn’t need to be difficult.
Drug administration is one of the most common services provided in the outpatient setting, and while the rules and codes have not changed significantly since 2009, coders still have questions about how to apply the CPT® guidelines and follow CMS' guidance.
This handbook begins with a review of drug administration concepts, including definitions of common terms. It then walks through the hierarchy that outpatient facility coders use to select the initial drug administration service. The handbook also explains how to properly determine when to report concurrent, subsequent, and additional hours of substances and when to report hydration.
Included are 15 case examples of varying complexity for coders to test their understanding of drug administration principles. The correct coding for each example is provided, along with explanations highlighting key code assignment concepts. The handbook concludes with some frequently asked questions about drug administration.
Resolve your toughest drug administration coding challenges!
Table of Contents
- Definition of drug administration terms
- Importance of correct drug administration reporting
- CPT coding
- Codes and coding guidelines
- Drug administration hierarchy
- Documentation requirements
- CPT vs. Medicare rules
- Coding scenarios
- Multiple infusions
- Subsequent drug administration
- Concurrent infusions
- Multiple drug pushes
- Coding scenario answers and explanations
About the Reviewer
Jugna Shah, MPH, is the president and founder of Nimitt Consulting, Inc., a firm specializing in case-mix payment system design, development, and implementation. She has extensive experience helping providers understand and address the ongoing clinical, operational, and financial implications of Medicare’s outpatient prospective payment system based on APCs. She has educated and audited hospitals on their drug administration coding and billing practices. Shah has contributed to several books and numerous OPPS/APC articles over the past 14 years. She is also a contributing editor of HCPro's Briefings on APCs.
Published: April 2015
How to Download Adobe Edition
- PRIOR TO DOWNLODING YOUR PURCHASED EBOOK – CLICK HERE TO INSTALL E-BOOK PLAYER FROM ADOBE.
- Click FILE IN MY DOWNLOADS AREA in the store, following your purchase. Then you can "link in" with your order confirmation/email, or when you login to your store account.
- SIGN IN WITH YOUR ADOBE ID. You can use your existing ID or create a new one. Save the login for future use.
- Your eBook purchase will appear in the Adobe Reader/player now — and anytime you want to access — just open the ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS APP.