ICD-10 What Every Healthcare Professional Should Know
Sold in packages of 10 copies!
This handbook provides an overview of the new system that health information management (HIM) managers can share with task force members and staff across revenue cycle departments to help their organizations prepare for the unavoidable transition.
Sold in a package of 10 copies, this training handbook:
- Provides a historical perspective of ICD-9-CM and ICD-10
- Explains the structure of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- Compares ICD-9-CM with ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- Discusses ICD-10 timelines
- Explains the benefits of ICD-10
The 2013 update of this training handbook includes:
- New CMS links for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS files, including the alphabetic and numeric lists, ICD-10-PCS tables, and official coding guidelines
- New “Excludes” notes examples
- New timeline information to facilitate planning, preparation, and implementation
After reading this handbook, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of medical coding and why ICD-10 conversion is essential for today's medical complexities
- Articulate the major differences between the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 systems
- Decipher and apply formulas for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes
- Use the tabular and alphabetic indexes to find information for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10 PCS codes
Meet the Author
Shannon E. McCall, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-I, CEMC, CCDS, is the director of HCPro’s Certified Coder Boot Camp® programs. She is the developer of its Certified Coder Boot Camp®—Inpatient Version, the Evaluation and Management Boot Camp®, the ICD-10 Basics Boot Camp™, and the Certified Coder Boot Camp—ICD-10-CM/PCS version. She works with hospitals, medical practices, and other healthcare providers and payers on a wide range of coding-related issues with a particular focus on education, coding reviews, and audits.
McCall has extensive experience coding physician and hospital services. She is accredited by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) as a Registered Health Information Administrator, Certified Coding Specialist, and Certified Coding Specialist–Physician. She is also an AHIMA- approved ICD-10-CM/PCS instructor.
- Structure of ICD-9-CM
- Limitations of ICD-9-CM
- Why Change Is Necessary
- Historical Perspective of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- Anticipated Benefits of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS
- ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Files
- ICD-10-CM Structure
- The first three characters
- The remaining characters: Seventh characters and placeholders
- Details improve data quality
- ICD-10-PCS Structure
- Root Operations Medical and Surgical
- Example: Coding an open total appendectomy
- Number of ICD-10 Codes
- ICD-10 Coding Scenarios
- Timeline for ICD-10
ALSO OF INTEREST
The HIM Director's Guide to ICD-10
by Gloryanne Bryant, RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCDS; Jean Clark, RHIA, CSHA; and Caroline Piselli, MBA, RN, FACHE
HIM directors must take a lead role in their organization's ICD-10 implementation, including advocating for and securing an appropriate budget, developing a robust staff retraining program, and ensuring timely IT system changes. The HIM Director's Guide to ICD-10 outlines the differences between ICD-9-CM and ICD-10, provides a thorough timeline of events leading up to implementation, and helps HIM directors develop a project plan to manage the process seamlessly from start to finish.
Order code: HDGICD
Buy The ICD-10 Planning and Training Package and SAVE!
The ICD-10 Planning and Training Package includes 10 copies of the ICD-10 training handbooks and one copy of The HIM Director's Guide to ICD-10 . Together they create your best foundation for ICD-10 transition and success. Save $50 when you buy the package!
Order code: pkICD10PT
Save money when you purchase multiple copies! Ask your customer service representative about money-saving discounts and bulk orders. Call toll free 800-650-6787 or e-mail email@example.com.