Home Health ICD-10 Coding Updates - On-Demand
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Joan L. Usher, BS, RHIA, COS-C, ACE, AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer
Level of Program:
October 1 marks the end of the code freeze for ICD-10-CM. There are over 2,500 code changes effective October 1, which include 1,974 new, 311 deleted, and 425 revised diagnosis codes. This date also marks the end of leniency on coding. Organizations will now need to follow correct coding guidelines and code to the greatest level of specificity. Home health and hospice organizations need to be prepared to avoid claims delay or potential denials due to lack of specificity.
During this 90-minute program, expert speaker Joan Usher, BS, RHIA, ACE, AHIMA-approved ICD-10-CM trainer, will provide attendees with an overview of the coding changes, discuss the implications of the leniency period, and the potential impact on claims.
At the conclusion of this on-demand program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the updates and major changes to the coding beginning October 1
- Recognize the changes to diabetic manifestations coding
- Utilize “Test Your Knowledge” cases
- Overview of changes
- Discuss of ending leniency period and potential impact on claims
- General changes
- NOS, Dash, Excludes
- Laterality, specificity
- Significant Chapter Changes
- New Code Zika Virus
- Greater specificity for some neoplasms
- Additional diabetic complications
- Coding diabetes “with” clarification
- New code added for LTU oral antidiabetic medications
- Additional descriptors for dementia and other changes to behavioral health diagnoses
- Additional codes available for sequelae of CVAs, National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) scores
- Understanding how to code Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) or Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) in preparation of new OASIS C-2 question.
- Musculoskeletal and rehab changes: Cervical disc disorders & other specific fracture types; periprosthetic fractures & other complications
- Genitourinary conditions updated
- Changes to accident codes
- Test Your Knowledge cases utilized for several of the chapter changes
Who Should Listen?
- Coder Home Health Agency Owner/Director/Administrator
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Compliance Officer
- Home Health Nurse
(Live + On Demand) - Attendance for the entire webinar, sponsored by HCPro, is required to earn the continuing education unit. Upon the completion of the webinar, attendees will receive 1 HCS-D CEU from the Board of Medical Specialty Coding and Compliance. (Ability to claim nursing contact hours for this webcast expire on: 9/28/2017)
Meet the Speaker
Joan Usher, BS, RHIA, ACE, AHIMA-approved ICD-10-CM trainer, is president of JLU Health Record Systems in Pembroke, Massachusetts. Usher has more than 27 years’ experience as a consultant and is a nationally recognized expert in the field of ICD-9 & ICD-10-CM coding and health information management (HIM). She has taught ICD coding in home health for 17 years and has educated more than 15,000 people nationwide. Usher is a past president of the Massachusetts Health Information Management Association. Under her leadership, Massachusetts received four national awards from AHIMA in continuing education programs, support for accredited HIM education, legislative advocacy, and electronic communications.
Usher is one of the Beacon Institute’s experts for our Ask-the-Expert membership benefits. She also provides a monthly ICD-10 coding column for our Homecare DIRECTION newsletter and speaks during many of HCPro's successful webcast series. She has contributed to numerous national publications and is the author of HCPro’s ICD-9 Coding for Home Health: A Guide to Medical Necessity and Payment, ICD-10 Coding for Home Health: A Guide to Medical Necessity and Payment, and ICD-10 Essentials for Homecare: Your Guide to Preparation and Implementation.
Webcast system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webcast experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Two days prior to the webcast, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is now available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $199 value!
Participation in the webcast is just $199 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email email@example.com if you have questions.