Final CMS CoPs: Navigating Revised Medical Staff Standards and New Requirements -
Presented by Michael R. Callahan, Esq.
Rebroadcast: July 23, 2015
A pre-recorded Q&A will be included.
Click here to hear why speaker Michael R. Callahan, Esq., thinks you should attend this program.
In 2014, CMS updated key provisions of its medical staff Conditions of Participation, reversing itself on two elements. The final rule now allows multihospital systems to have one unified, integrated medical staff and hospital governing boards need not have medical staff as members. The final rules went into effect in July—with a lot of preamble but few interpretive guidelines. This webcast will clear the confusion involving the new rules.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the revised CMS CoPs for medical staff
- Meet CMS survey requirements
- Apply relevant provisions of the final rule to their own facilities
- Answer leadership questions regarding medical staff membership
- Build and document effective communication with their organization’s governing board
We will have 57–60 minutes of presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A.
1. Voting to unify the medical staff—or not
- Who votes, and how
- Unifying, or opting out
- Is it consistent with the bylaws that not everyone gets to vote?
2. The medical staff and the governing body
- What the revisions mean for governing body-medical staff interactions
- You don’t need physicians on the board anymore
- Rules about the governing body and having corporate parents to govern medical staff
3. The expanded medical staff
- What state law permits
- Hospital vs. dietitian privileges
- How do we define medical staff?
- Medical staff governing body
- What kind of medical staff do you want: Unified or separate?
- Performance standards/metrics
- Hospital registered dietitians
- Privileges of medical staff and who can get on the medical staff
- Interpretation of the rule
- Who can order services
Meet the Speaker:
Michael R. Callahan, Esq., is a senior partner in the Health Care Practice Group at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, in Chicago, and a frequent speaker on regulatory compliance, accreditation matters, medical staff credentialing, hospital/medical staff relations and Patient Safety Organizations. He is an Editorial Advisor and contributor to HCPro’s Medical Staff Briefing and Credentialing and Peer Review Legal Insider newsletters. Michael is the current Chair of the Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review Practice Group of the American Health Lawyers Association.
Webinar system requirements and program materials:
To fully benefit from the webinar experience, please note you will need a computer equipped with the following:
Internet: 56K or faster Internet connection (high-speed connection recommended)
Streaming: for audio/video streaming, Adobe Flash plug-in or Safari browser on iOS devices
Prior to the webinar, you will receive an email with detailed system requirements, your login information, presentation slides, and other materials that you can print and distribute to all attendees at your location.
COULDN'T LISTEN LIVE?
No problem. The On-Demand version is also available. Use it as a training tool at your convenience—whenever your new or existing staff need a refresher or need to understand a new concept. Play it once or dozens of times. A $199 value!
Participation in this webinar is just $199 per site. All materials must be retrieved from the Internet.
Call your customer service representative toll-free 800-650-6787 or email email@example.com if you have questions.