Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Management: Methods to Prevent, Assess, and Treat.
Pressure ulcers are among the most prevalent hospital-acquired infections in acute care. As an intervention in the IHI’s 5 Million Lives campaign and an ANCC Magnet Recognition Program® required nurse-sensitive quality indicator, it is vital that your organization take the necessary steps toward preventing them.
Information about pressure ulcers is covered only superficially, if at all, in today’s standard nursing education programs. To compound the problem, many healthcare settings have limited support and education for new nurses to develop this skill post-graduation. These circumstances lead to incomplete and often inaccurate assessments—and ultimately pose a risk-management dilemma.
That's why HCPro is proud to bring you Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Management: Methods to Prevent, Assess, and Treat.
Pressure ulcer video training to educate your staff
Available on DVD, this 20-minute training video and CD-ROM set provides your nursing staff with evidence-based methods to prevent, assess, and treat pressure ulcers in line with Joint Commission expectations. The information and case scenarios presented in this video cover topics critical to pressure ulcer management, including
- development and staging
- risk management
- wound assessment and documentation
- pain, nutrition, and infection assessment
- treatment options
After viewing this video and reviewing the materials on the accompanying CD-ROM, your nursing staff will be able to
- Define “pressure ulcer” according to the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses (WOCN) Society
- Explain why positioning serves a role in preventing pressure ulcers from developing
- Explain the “rule of 30” related to positioning patients
- Identify two reasons why heels pose a significant risk for pressure ulcer development
- Describe characteristics of the four pressure ulcer stages in the system developed by the WOCN Society and the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel
- Recognize the validated risk-assessment tool discussed in this video and the risk factors it measures
- Identify at least one type of technique to measure wounds
- Recognize the roles that pain, nutrition, and infection play in pressure ulcers
- Describe the best way to diagnose wound infection
- Explain the usage of four types of gauze related to wound dressings
Plus, the accompanying CD-ROM provides nurses with tools to document their findings, which will help identify and manage patient and facility risks, and result in better outcomes. Included on the CD-ROM are:
- the Braden Scale—a validated risk assessment tool
- a wound assessment worksheet
- a quality assessment/improvement tool
- extensive information about wound-care products on the market
Support the pressure ulcer prevention program at your facility. Order your copy of Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Management: Methods to Prevent, Assess, and Treat today!
This video is the perfect resource for staff nurses, nurse managers, CNOs/VPs of patient care, DONs, directors of HR, directors of quality/patient safety, directors of education, and staff development specialists.
Cheryl Sale, MSN, RN, CWCN is the unit manager for the Center for Pain Management and the Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at Centra Health in Lynchburg, VA. She has worked with Centra Health for 10 years and has worked in wound care for the past four. She is a member of the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN) and the Baromedical Nurses Association. She completed WOCN training at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
The HCPro Risk-Free, Money-Back Guarantee
If for any reason Evidence-Based Pressure Ulcer Management: Methods to Prevent, Assess, and Treat does not meet your needs, return it within 7 days and you will receive a prompt, polite, 100% refund—no questions asked.
If you would like to find out about the availability of nursing contact hours on this or any other HCPro nursing video, please visit our Continuing Education information page, here.