Essential Skills for Nurse Managers - eBook
Shelley Cohen, RN, MSN, CEN
Sharon Cox, MSN, RN
Essential Skills for Nurse Managers is an indispensable resource for nurse managers, one they will turn to time and time again over many years.
Nurse management experts Shelley Cohen and Sharon Cox have created a resource that can be used by new or experienced nurse managers who seek guidance on all aspects of nursing management, from interviewing staff to writing strategic plans. The book can be read cover-to-cover or used as a quick reference guide. It is ideal for orientation for new nurse managers or ongoing education for more experienced managers.
In Essential Skills for Nurse Managers, novice and experienced nurse managers alike will find the proven strategies, tools, and resources they need to excel as nurse leaders. The book provides downloadable forms and tools on all the key topics that enable the manager to immediately incorporate the strategies and techniques in the book into practice.
- Practical and authoritative, with actionable advice and examples drawn from the authors’ decades of experience
- Includes 24 chapters covering the essentials, including structuring effective meetings; staff delegation, motivation, and empowerment; budgeting; promoting professional development, and techniques for promoting a culture of safety and quality
- Library of useful forms, tools, and scripting examples to support the professional development of nurse managers
- Written by two recognized experts in the field of nursing management, Shelley Cohen, RN, MSN, CEN, and Sharon Cox, MSN, RN
Table of Contents:
Section 1: You Have to Start Somewhere
Chapter 1: Leadership
Chapter 2: Team Building
Chapter 3: Time Management
Chapter 4: The Interviewing and Hiring Process
Chapter 5: Onboarding Staff With Effective Orientation
Chapter 6: Staff Meeting Opportunities
Chapter 7: Competency
Chapter 8: The Dollars and Sense of Management
Section 2: It Will Get Better
Chapter 9: Creating a Healthy Work Environment
Chapter 10: Coaching and Communicating Across the Generations
Chapter 11: Shared Governance
Chapter 12: Managing Change
Chapter 13: The Art of Delegation Through Staff Engagement and Ownership
Chapter 14: Staff Empowerment and Motivation
Chapter 15: Performance Management
Chapter 16: Developing and Retaining Staff
Section 3: Trust the Process
Chapter 17: Creating a Culture of Safety and Quality
Chapter 18: Conflict Management
Chapter 19: Balance and Renewal
Chapter 20: Strategic Planning and Execution
Chapter 21: The Risk Management and Liability Side of Leadership
Chapter 22: The Role of Ethics in Management
Chapter 23: Developing a Business Plan
Chapter 24: Professional Development
Meet the Authors:
Shelley Cohen, RN, MSN, CEN, is the founder and president of Health Resources Unlimited. She has more than 15 years of experience teaching, mentoring, and coaching critical thinking skills. Cohen is the lead author of HCPro’s Critical Thinking book series and the coauthor of The Image of Nursing: Perspectives on Shaping, Empowering, and Elevating the Nursing Profession; A Practical Guide to Recruitment and Retention: Skills for Nurse Managers; and Core Skills for Nurse Managers: A Training Toolkit, all published by HCPro.
Sharon Cox, MSN, RN, is a nationally known speaker and healthcare consultant with over 40 years’ experience in leadership development and systemwide culture change. She has conducted seminars and consulted with over 500 hospitals in the United States and Canada and has developed a reputation as a thought-provoking and energizing presenter. Prior to founding Cox & Associates, a healthcare training and consulting firm, she held a variety of positions ranging from staff nurse to faculty and administrative roles in academic health centers. Cox is a coauthor of Core Skills for Nurse Managers (published by HCPro) and Nature’s Wisdom in the Workplace.
If you would like to find out about the availability of nursing contact hours on this or any other HCPro nursing book, please visit our Continuing Education information page, here.
Published January 2015
How to Download Adobe Edition
- PRIOR TO DOWNLODING YOUR PURCHASED EBOOK – CLICK HERE TO INSTALL E-BOOK PLAYER FROM ADOBE.
- Click FILE IN MY DOWNLOADS AREA in the store, following your purchase. Then you can "link in" with your order confirmation/email, or when you login to your store account.
- SIGN IN WITH YOUR ADOBE ID. You can use your existing ID or create a new one. Save the login for future use.
- Your eBook purchase will appear in the Adobe Reader/player now — and anytime you want to access — just open the ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS APP.