Effective Process Management: Improving Your Healthcare Delivery
99.9% success is not good enough
If we had 99.9% quality
- There would be 500 incorrect surgical operations performed each week
- 19,000 newborn babies would be dropped at birth by doctors each year
- Fast food franchises would serve 8 bad hamburgers EVERY MINUTE!
You cannot afford for the processes in your facility to be anything less than perfect.
Effective Process Management: Improving Your Healthcare Delivery will show you how to identify where certain processes fail or how they might fail in the future, and how to make preventative adjustments. Through process mapping, FMEAs, and change management strategies, author Ken Rohde gives you actionable tips and tools you can use to break down your current process into the micro-steps which comprise them, evaluate where those processes are at risk, and learn how you can prevent them from failing.
This book will help users:
- Identify several of the top processes in patient care and map whether they fail or where they might fail in the future
- Effectively train and educate staff members to implement changes in their daily activities to support process improvement
- Evaluate any given process for risk and effectiveness
- Improve overall facility operations, as efficient processes create fewer barriers to providing safe patient care, which translates to increased revenue and improved patient satisfaction
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The vital importance of Process Management
Chapter 2: Where to start? Define your List of Processes
Chapter 3: Step 1 : Mapping & Understanding your processes
Chapter 4: Step 2: Evaluating your process for Risk
Chapter 5: Step 3: Evaluating your process for effectiveness and efficiency
Chapter 6: Step 4 : Manage Change
Chapter 7: Step 5 : Communicate your Process through effective Policies, Procedures & Checklists
Chapter 8: Step 6: Matching the work environment to your process
Chapter 9: Step 7: Monitoring your process for Outcomes and exceptions
Chapter 10: Keep on doing it
Chapter 11: Summary of Tips & Tools
About the author
Kenneth R. Rohde is president of KR Rohde LLC, a consulting company specializing in helping organizations deal with their problems. He brings more than 32 years of experience in quality management to his work with hospitals, medical centers, power plants and high-risk manufacturing facilities across the country. Mr. Rohde's roles in performance improvement and project management make him uniquely qualified to assist medical staffs and hospital leaders develop solutions to their toughest challenges. He instructs, speaks, and consults in the areas of error reduction strategies, root cause analysis, improving performance through process simplification, error reduction through effective procedure writing, apparent cause analysis, engineering effectiveness and error reduction, failure modes and effects analysis, effective data collection, analysis and trending, patient safety evaluation and improvement, change management, corrective action program evaluation and redesign, human performance evaluations, and procedure error reduction. Mr. Rohde also specializes in technology-based approaches to preventing human errors.
Published: October 2009