Competency Evaluation Tools for Case Management Professionals, Second Edition
Karen Zander; RN, MS, CMAC, FAAN
Capture the best ideas, theories, and strategies in case management practice to move it from a JOB to a PROFESSION.
This second edition of a best-selling toolkit helps organizations evaluate case management professionals based on their individual skills and strengths.
Competency Evaluation Tools for Case Management Professionals, Second Edition, takes a real-world approach by looking at the functions case managers actually perform and delivers a strong foundation to develop performance appraisals, job descriptions, and sequence training.
Designed by The Center for Case Management with the help of more than 50 national case management experts, this second edition is updated with competency assessment tools in several new areas within the expanding case management arena.
You'll assess competencies and design a case manager’s role around the functions at which the individual excels. Case Management Evaluation Tools for Case Management Professionals, Second Edition, includes competency evaluations for:
- Case Management Administrators
- Access and/or Liaison
- Utilization Review
- Care Coordination
- Discharge Planning
- Disease Management
- Clinical Social Work (MSW)
- Physician Advisors/Medical Directors, Case Management
- Emergency Department Case Managers
- Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists
- Utilization Review/Discharge Planning/Care Coordination (combined roles)
This book helps you:
- Define competency in relation to case management
- Differentiate between the three domains of competency evaluated in this toolkit
- Explain the challenge of evaluating case management professionals
- Identify the distinct functions that make up the case management role
- Analyze an individual’s performance based on his or her competency level
- Recognize how to encourage an individual to advance from one competency level to the next
Use these competencies to:
- Clarify job descriptions
- Integrate into performance appraisals
- Restructure your staffing and processes
- Build case management-related curriculum for in-service and academic offerings
- Encourage staff to develop case management from a job to a profession
Meet the Author
Karen Zander, RN, MS, CMAC, FAAN, is principal and co-owner of The Center for Case Management. Her pioneering work with clinical case management and CareMap® systems, begun at New England Medical Center Hospital in Boston, is internationally recognized. Hospitals and Health Networks has named her a “cutting edge” leader.
HCPro Inc. has confirmed that none of the authors or contributors have any relevant financial relationships to disclose related to the content of this educational activity.
Published: September 2009